If you’re like most, you start the new year off with the best of intentions of working towards a better and healthier you, personally, professionally, physically, and mentally. This year we wanted to focus on 21 small (but important) changes you can make solely focused on helping to improve your dental health. Plus, the South Gables Dental team shares what they are planning to work towards in the new year.
21 Dental Health Tips for You in the New Year
- Brush your teeth for two minutes at least two times a day.
- Floss daily and be sure to use a “C” motion to cover both sides of each tooth.
- Schedule your routine dental cleanings at least every six months (or more as recommended by your dentist).
- Use a straw to drink dark-colored liquids such as teas and coffee which can cause staining.
- Eat less chewy and sticky foods and candies.
- Drink more H2O and less sugary drinks like soda and other acidic beverages. Getting a water bottle that you like and can refill can help!
- Treat yourself to a brighter smile with ZOOM teeth whitening.
- Change out your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months.
- Remember to brush your tongue every time you brush your teeth.
- Use toothpaste with fluoride and look for one with the ADA seal. Not all toothpaste you see on the shelf is created equal.
- Eat more crunchy and fresh fruits and veggies to round out your diet.
- Incorporate mouthwash into your daily oral hygiene routine.
- Pick the right toothbrush. Most adults should use a small- or medium-sized toothbrush so the bristles can get into all the nooks and crannies.
- Always brush your teeth before you go to sleep for the night. If you grab a midnight snack after you brush your teeth, be sure to brush again.
- Get an oral cancer screening annually.
- Avoid chewing on ice as it can damage your enamel and even chip a tooth.
- Don’t use your teeth to open up packages.
- If you’re playing any contact sports, protect your teeth by wearing a mouthguard.
- Avoid overbrushing or brushing too hard – be kind to your teeth and gums.
- Get x-rays at least once a year.
- Smile more and frown less!
Need help sticking to these dental health tips and resolutions? Print it out and put it on your bathroom mirror. Then, make your appointment today to see how one of the best dentists in Coral Gables can help keep you on track with a strong dental hygiene routine in 2021 and beyond.
And if you’re wondering what 2021 resolutions the South Gables Dental team is working towards, read on here.
Osiris, Hygiene Coordinator
Exercise and read more books.
Mari, Dental Assistant
Lose weight and go back to school
Irene, Dental Hygienist
Take more time to do the activities I enjoy.
Deya, Dental Hygienist
Go back to school and earn my Bachelor’s degree.
Juani, Patient Coordinator
Travel more (when it’s a bit safer to do so!)
Joan, Dental Hygienst
Get active and healthy again!
Dr. Lawrence Lesperance
Continue helping my patients and others the best that I can. And accomplishing more organizational projects.
Get Top Dental Health Care in Coral Gables, FL
Ready to improve your dental health? Schedule an appointment below: